EFI and leaded gas

David M Parrish dmp at bmesun1.MCG.EDU
Thu Nov 30 13:23:13 GMT 1995

> From:          robert dingli <r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au>

> FWIW, I have been using a second hand single wire EGO sensor from a
> late '80s Toyota 3SG in my 6 cylinder Jaguar running leaded petrol.
> The sensor has worked well for over two years and around 40K km
> connected to a voltmeter LED bargraph for display (but not control).
>
> I beleive the initial effects of lead on the zirconia sensor are to
> slow the response.  I haven't been able to detect any problems visually,
> but closed loop control is another matter.  The intake event to sensor

I believe the zirconia is just the ceramic base for a platinum catalyst and
the lead "poisons" the catalyst. Now if the lead coats the platinum,
masking it or it actually interferes with the catalatic action, I
don't know.

I've got a Subaru SVX engine that was used in an aircraft conversion
and they originally used leaded aviation gas. Killed the sensors in short
order. Expensive too, since the engine takes two of the suckers at $75 a
pop.

---
David Parrish
New kid on the block