thermocouples and mixture.

john carroll jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Fri Apr 12 02:59:17 GMT 1996

This shot is from the hip, but does come with a money back
guarantee.

It seems that watching the temperature across the converter with a
pair of thermocouples would be the best way to make use of exhaust
gas temperature to monitor mixture.  If it works, it has the
elegance of causing something that does not contribute to
performance become useful.

If combustion is taking place in the converter, (the mixture is
rich) the outlet sensor will probably be the hotter of the two and
visa versa.

Two thermocouples wired in opposition, with all of the joints and
attachments at the same physical location will emit a signal
proportional to the temperature change through the converter  and
eliminate concern about compensation. It will have THE CORRECT
ALGEBRAIC SIGN!!!

The analog value is likely proportional to over/under fueling and
the two leads could directly drive a comparator for a digital
output.

If all these assumptions are not quite accurate, some modest amount
of compensation should still make it work very simply.

How about some one with more experience with converters jumping on
this and trying it out or modeling it and I will work on a report
of my experience with HIP9010.

MY text book copy of McGraw Hill's _COMBUSTION ENGINE PROCESSES_
was printed in 1967 and is pre ISBN.  It was written by Lester C.
Lichty.

I wish the chapter on combustion knock was available on line for
everyone but I really don't want to type in the text myself.

Does something as old as my copy go out of copyright?

Can scanned pages from an old text be distributed legally?

jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
john carroll