Just a note...

Hoa T Nguyen unguyh02 at mcl.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 15 08:07:44 GMT 1996

Thanks much to all for the Heywood references. I place my order tomorrow.

Saab has been using individual coils per cylinder for quite a while. The
Trionic engine management system has the ability to monitor the current
flow through the coils, thus to the plug, to analize the combustion
quality. The system can then make changes to the spark / fuel on a
cylinder by cylinder basis. Basicly the same stuff being discussed on the
332 list. Saab did a neat demo where they pumped exhaust from an old
two-stroke car into the new 900 turbo (I think) where it was again used.
The cool part was it came out cleaner than it went in.

On the topic of spark plugs... has anyone seen the info on the new Saab
plug. Engineers replaced the standard plug with a single isolated
electrode then built up a special piston with a peak in the middle. The
peak acts as the ground, causing a spark to jump across the combustion
chamber. By changing timing they can change the effective plug gap as
well. Sounds like the best plug to date.

Thanks again to everyone else for the interest
- Mike Kent