CD Ignition

Terry Sare Terry_Sare at dell.com
Fri Aug 16 13:41:52 GMT 1996

     There have been several articles on building your own in Radio
     Electronics, Electronics Today (I think that is the name -- its
     English). That is all I can remember off the top of my head, I am at
     work. The basic theory is simple, take 12VDC and chop it into pulses,
     feed it into a step-up transformer, rectify it, and charge a 0.1uF
     cap. To trigger, use a SCR in series with a coil primary. Then the SCR
     is triggered by the points, whatever, then the cap dumps it charge
     into the coil, about 300 volts or so. Also, MSD has a system that does
     multple sparks using a cap. system.

     There are a lot of practical consideration that I skipped. If you need
     the articles referenced I can try to look them up this weekend and
     post them. I tried building one in 81 but it didn't work very well,
     course I really didn't have a clue back then but that is another
     story<g>.

     Terry Sare

     EMAIL: Terry_Sare at ccmail.us.dell.com