Data Logging

David Crocombe david at abc.GOV.AU
Mon Aug 26 05:08:30 GMT 1996

I have been reading up on the Analog Devices ADXL-05 accelerometer and it
looks promising. The trouble now is supply. I have been told that major
car manufacturers have bought up all the stock, and that supply will take
6 to 8 months.
Apparently there is also to be a new version called ADXL-76 which is to
combine the 5g and 50g versions in a DIP package (as opposed to the metal
can package for the ADXL-05).
The ADXL-05 is quoted as $35 Australian. This sounds good to me if only I
can get my hands on one. I think I will try to get one of their evaluation
modules. Hopefully these will be available.

Those interested should check out the Analog Devices pages for data sheets
and good application notes.

http://www.analog.com/publications/magazines/Dialogue/29-2/brief11a.html

http://www.analog.com/techsupt/application_notes/application_notes.html

I was interested to read of the Amiga program. It is similar to some
ideas I had.

My big problem (and why I want an accelerometer) in predicting vehicle
performance is that with the Drag car the wheel diameter is not constant
as it increases with speed and also there is no speedo for measuring
speed against a stopwatch. Also no passenger seat for the second person
to take the readings!

My brother also has a hot transit van in which we can try some of the
suggestions that have been made on this list.
Current performance is better than 13.608/102 mph over the 1/4 mile.
With 351 engine and nitrous is getting just under 13 seconds I believe.

I am currently developing an analogue control system for the nitrous
for both vehicles. When I get up to speed on microcontrollers I will
implement a digital version with lots of features including the
accelerometer.

Well that's about it from me for the moment.

David Crocombe

Sydney
Australia