Real time dyno

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Thu Aug 29 00:50:04 GMT 1996

tom cloud wrote:

> My specific requirement has been to tune my current (Holley) EFI.
> The Idle, Midrange, Accelerator Pump, and Choke adjustments are
> simple enough.  It's the Power adjustment that's too darned
> subjective for me.  I used my EGO (but it's probably deteriorated
> with age -- ~ 14 years and 150,000 miles), and, of course, it tells
> me I'm either rich or richer.  And frankly, I'm not one to want to
> do a bunch of timed runs to find the optimum setting.  Seems to me
> being able to adjust acceleration for a peak would be a good way
> to adjust operation at WOT (understand I have a little more than
> 4 or 5 seconds to work with here).
>
> So, what's a J&S knock sensor?
>
> Tom Cloud

Get a good EGO sensor firts, then something that will tell you when
you're in the 12.8 to 13.3 range, if you're running on Normal Gasoline
and normally aspirated.  That will be you're peak power range.  Have
never found a resource to tell me differently.
If you calibrate for acceleration, you might burn the motor up before
you find it.  Most engines like leaner settings to produce peak power,
but they don't last long there.
A J&S knock sensor is an aftermarket knock sensor unit that will
intercept the ignition signal and alter it according to individual
cylinder knock.  He's also got a monitor that will tell you how much
each cylinder, or group, is retarding so you can go back and adjust your
timing till no lights come on.  Works great for a calibration tool.
Listed his phone and address for someone else in a previous post today.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering