Flywheel/Encoder patterns

kleenair at ix.netcom.com kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 24 13:36:36 GMT 1996

A few days ago I mentioned that maybe by looking at the ionization
current in a coil per plug system we can determine whether a spark
occured on top of the compression stroke or on top of the exhaust stroke.
 Monitoring the ionization current can be complex, but how about
monitoring spark duration?

I read an SAE paper (#960329) about a spark controller that feeds back
the duration of spark.  This is accomplished by measuring the flyback
voltage on the primary side of the coil.  The purpose of the paper is to
use this info to optimize dwell (as opposed to using a fixed high value
all the time).

My question is:  Is there a relationship between spark DURATION and
combustion chamber pressure?  If so, any guesses as to what the
relationship is?

Happy Holidays,

Mazda