Injector Phasing...

Timothy Coste tlcoste at mtu.edu
Sat Feb 10 05:07:13 GMT 1996

  Boy, I really hate (I think) to get into this one but...

  I believe Peter and Sian are saying the same thing, but from totally
different perspectives.  Peter is concerned with WOT...Sian is (I
think, since hie research sounds similar to mine) concerned with
day-to-day driveability.  There's no way you can meet emissions
regulations and customer (i.e.- consumer) satisfaction without being
extremely concerned with transients, not to mention cold-start/
warm-up strategy.  Increasing cycle-to-cycle variability, increasing
efficiency at part-throttle, etc. (COVimep, transient response, etc)
are all concerns of manufacturers, not tuners/racers.  Show me a
racer who minds a miniscule off-idle stutter versus 20hp and a
1000ppm increase in HC and I'll show you a big three engineer riding
with a racing team. :)

   If you care about cyclic variability and such, WOT is something
you'll cherish until Big Brother (or the Euro equivalent) mandates
WOT testing (coming to a theater near you).  For USA readers, be
VERY happy uncle sam (no Caps for modern gov't) lets WOT go for now!

   I'll stop discussing this unless there is a reply directly to my
comments since this is getting way off of the diy category.  If
you care enough about COVimep, transients, and cold starts, you're
working for an auto manufacturer and not in your garage.  Or your
WAY too optimistic about your 4 micro-processor's having nothing to
do during idle times. :)  Sorry, I really enjoy my own humor late
at night too much.

   Glossary of Terms
      COVimep - coefficent of variation of indicated mean effective
                pressure...a measure of cyclic variability in an
                engine.
      ppm     -parts per million
      HC      -hydrocarbon (fuel) emissions
      WOT     -wide open throttle
      Big Brother-governments everywhere
      Euro    -European, from the new-world point of view
              -I could go on, but I've worn out my own funny bone.
               I'm killing myself.  If you want more, you're in
               worse shape than I.

   Tim Coste
   tlcoste at mtu.edu