Fuel Injector Valve Phasing...

robert dingli r.dingli at ee.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Feb 12 01:23:19 GMT 1996

Tim Coste remarked,

> The silly university seems to have a problem with us spraying
> gas around willy nilly.  Stodgy old farts. :)

You should try hydrogen as a fuel.  Can't see it, can't smell it and you
can't even see it when it burns.  It will ignite at any air-fuel ratio and
goes off with a real bang.  We've got shattered inlet manifolds and exhaust
systems that have been partially turned inside out to prove it.

In our case, it's the 'stodgy old farts' who are most keen for us to get
a better 'feel' for the engine by working inside the dyno cell.

Back to the topic.  Tim, your research sounds very interesting.  Please keep
us posted on the results of your measurements.

For reference try SAE Paper # 940445 (Chen, Vincent and Gutermuth, Chrysler
Corp.)  This paper quantitatively describes the effects of various factors
on injected droplet size including gasoline composition, initial droplet
size, initial fuel temperature, charge temperature, intake manifold pressure,
engine speed and distance from injector.  It is very interesting to note
their relative importance.

I have yet to find a good reference which details the effect of droplet size
and initial fraction vapourised on combustion.  If I had more time, I could
fit a petrol injection system onto the optical CFR and do some measurements
myself but I have more important details to worry about right now.

Robert Dingli

    Robert Dingli   r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au
Power and Control Systems    (+613) 9344 7966
Thermodynamics Research Labs (+613) 9344 7712
     University of Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
**  he who dies with the most toys, wins  **