280ZX ECU in '78 BMW

Josh Karnes joshk at tanisys.com
Mon Jul 1 13:10:26 GMT 1996

> At 11:51 AM 6/25/96 +0000, you wrote:
> >As far as the suggestion to just ditch the thermal reactors and
> >adjust the car to run lean, the main problem with this is that for
> >me, this is very expensive.  Old manifolds are not cheap.  I'd
> >havve to have a headpipe made and installed at a muffler shop, and
> >swap out all the parts, etc., not worth it, especially if I can
> >diisable the hot-function of the thermal reactors by denying them
> >air and unburnt fuel.
>
> Surely someone makes a 4 into 1 or 4-2-1 (tri-y) tube header for the
> Beemer. This would solve your thermal reactor problem, give you more
> horsepower by improving exhaust flow (which may also help your
> overrich condition a bit), and give your beemer the equivalent of a
> liposuction, losing 100 pounds of ugly cast iron fat overnite.

Well, this is a 6cyl BMW.  If it were a 2002 or a 320i I would have
no trouble getting an affordable header.  However the headers that
are available for the sixes generally specialized and very pricey.
Try $500+.

This, of course, was my first thought as well.  The parts for this
car are so extremely expensive, however, that I must determine a way
to make it work with the parts I have.

BTW, I tightened the AFM spring two notches (this one is so much
easier to work with than the Nissan units :), and I set the jumper
for high-altitude which should lean it a bit.  After checking the
plugs to see the conditions of the car's mixture from before these
changes, it appeared that the mix was pretty close.  The deposits,
although extremely heavy, were tan.

Thanks for the advice.
Josh Karnes                                                 joshk at tanisys.com
Renaissance Man                        http://www.tanisys.com/~joshk/home.htm
Tanisys Technology                                     http://www.tanisys.com
Austin, Texas                      '78 BMW 530i | '72 Datsun 240Z | IZCC #308