MAF vs MAP

Jeffrey Giberstein Jeffrey.Giberstein at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Jun 5 03:25:14 GMT 1996

--- Michael Kent wrote:

The biggest reason to go to a MAF system is simply its flexibility. One
can make numerious changes to a motor, dramatically altering it's
breathing abilities and still run quite well. Change the characteristic
of a speed-density motor beyond it's adaptive abilities and risk loosing
the motor to lean conditions etc.

Talking with a calibrator from Ford, he mentioned numerious problems with
the MAF system, including non-linear output from the meter, reversion
(backflow), leaks down stream, and contamination. All in all though it
was a much better system than the speed-density they used to run since it
allowed the EEC-IV to adapt better to the widely varying motor's coming
out of the factory.

MK
--- end of quoted material ---

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both GM and Ford "MAF" systems still run a MAP
sensor to deal with situations that the MAF can't handle (transients, I
presume).

Jeff Giberstein
Dartmouth Formula Racing