MAF vs MAP

S. McManus mcmansp2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 5 03:52:45 GMT 1996

> (backflow), leaks down stream, and contamination. All in all though [MAF]
> was a much better system than the speed-density they used to run since it
> allowed the EEC-IV to adapt better to the widely varying motor's coming
> out of the factory.
>
> MK

Maybe I'm confused or jumping to conclusions here, but is this implying
that the quality control from the Blue Oval factory is so bad that the maps
for a SD system would have to be individually tailored to EACH car coming
from the factory to keep A/F correct?  Thus, a MAF system was needed to make up
for manufacturing tolerences?

Ed H, any insight?

Sean McManus
University of Washington Formula SAE