Forced induction on a 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder.

David W. Taylor dwtaylor at ptdcs2.intel.com
Wed Jun 5 19:41:48 GMT 1996

Boy did a lot of people answer my question, :) Thanks.
I got enough responses that I figured I'd better give you all a
better description of the goal and the problem.

I wish to take an engine equiped with MAP and Multi-Port fuel injection
and increse the HP by 20+. Maintaining daily drivability, This is a 4x4
not a race car, so power control is VERY important. It would be a bad
thing (tm) if I was crawling up a 45 degree rock face and when I gassed
it to get over a small bump I got all 140 HP at once... Mission control
we have liftoff. Un fortunately wranglers don't have a glide ratio.

Turbo or Mechanical supercharger. At this point I am leaning towards
using the Whipple Supercharger. The reason is that I want throttle
response thats immediate, and I don't intend to run the engine at
over 5K rpms.

I've gotten a few sugestions ,, Here's my process of elimination,

1. Bigger motor - My only option in Oregon is the 4.0 6 Cyl.
Our emissions laws don't allow the transplant of any motor into any
vehicle that it did not come in as an option if the Chassis was
manufactured after 1981. BUMMER> And the 4.0 6 cylinder gets
in the low teens for mileage on a good day.

2. NO2 - I've seen some neat systems but I can't buy NO2 at Texaco.
   I'm unsure of "how much" of a nitrous system I would need and
   how much gas I'd have to carry to run it a lot. - Need more info
   on this, I understand there's a couple good books out there so
   I'll have to do more legwork here.

3. Turbo - Good power reliable - Tough to get sharp throttle response.
   possibly use a light NO2 fog to get thru the turbo-lag zone.

4. Super charger - Instant throttle response, Complicated due
   to the mechanical installation to drive it. If installed with
   a bypass it could have very smooth transition characteristics
   from low to high power levels.

I'm still on the vocabulary growth curve so if I'm using the wrong terms
please let me know.

David Taylor  dwtaylor at ptdcs2.intel.com  Ph(503) 613-8132 Portland OR.
My opinions are mine ,, and nobody elses.