Carter Hendricks carterh at crl.com
Wed Jun 5 17:55:39 GMT 1996

> > I'm trying to asses the potential for a forced induction system to
> > get about 20 more HP out of the 4 cyl engine.....
>
> >Say what?  There is no way to get 20 more hp from a 4 cyl engine (th
> >2.5L injected "slant-four" from Chrysler, right?) with induction mods
> >unless you add a turbo...I hope you are kidding.
>
> I hope YOU are kidding. The guy says he wants to add a forced induc-
> tion system, which a turbo is. Yes, you can get that kind of power out
> of a 4 banger, especially a weak one. In rough terms, if he can

A few of the earlier posts on this topic came to mind as I took a break
from some Italian wiring problems and read through the only reason I
subscribe to Cycle World: the monthly column [and occasional article]
from Kevin Cameron.  This month's TDC column is titled "Intake Flow 101."

This list is often made more interesting by the wide range of experience
of the participants. Kevin's articles are like that, too -- even on a topic
where I feel fairly comfortable, his analysis always gives me a new idea
or a new way of thinking about something.

I think there was a little confusion about the meaning of forced induction
among some of our participants here. And I think a few people were
underestimating the amount of low speed help can [and on most modern cars
finally does] come from the intake [and exhaust] system.

I've been working on a couple of Alfa Romeo 1900 TI projects, and a few
years ago was lucky enough to ask the right questions when interviewing a
couple of the old-timer engineers. There was a lot of experimental testing
going on in Milan in the very early 1950's.

Kevin's column takes up the story about then... and follows with an
interesting technical description.

So if you have an extra $3.50 while at the grocery store...

					--Carter