Forced induction on a 2.5 Liter 4 cylinder.

Josh Karnes joshk at tanisys.com
Wed Jun 5 22:15:11 GMT 1996

> 1. Bigger motor - My only option in Oregon is the 4.0 6 Cyl.
> Our emissions laws don't allow the transplant of any motor into any
> vehicle that it did not come in as an option if the Chassis was
> manufactured after 1981. BUMMER> And the 4.0 6 cylinder gets in the
> low teens for mileage on a good day.

Well, my mom's Cherokee with this engine and a 5 speed (2WD) gets
about 20-22 regularly in a mix of city annd highway driving.  That's
with 190 hp, I tell you that Jeep with the 5 speed will smoke about
95% of all cars on the road.  I have beaten Mustang GTs in it.  It
may even run with my Z.  I think this engine may be the way to go
for you.  This is a great engine.

> 4. Super charger - Instant throttle response, Complicated due
>    to the mechanical installation to drive it. If installed with a
>    bypass it could have very smooth transition characteristics from
>    low to high power levels.

This may also be a good option, I don't know.  I think the 4.0 HO
6cyl would be your best bet if you can get one.  The mpg with a
supercharger on a 2.5L four is not going to beat the big 6 by much,
if any, and the 4.0 will certainly last longer than a blown 4 banger.
 I think it would be interesting, for sure, but probably not the best
option IMHO.

Good luck, anyway, and let me know what you come up with :)  A
supercharger on my BMW might be just what the Dr. ordered :)

Later-
Josh Karnes                                                 joshk at tanisys.com
Renaissance Man                        http://www.tanisys.com/~joshk/home.htm
Tanisys Technology                                     http://www.tanisys.com
Austin, Texas                      '78 BMW 530i | '72 Datsun 240Z | IZCC #308