oxygen sensor

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Wed Jun 19 02:30:55 GMT 1996

>  ----------
> From: toyota-mods-owner
> To: Craig A Terlau
> Cc: Daucott; mr2-digest; Toyota-mods
> Subject: oxygen sensor
> Date: Tuesday, June 18, 1996 3:35PM
>
> Here's one for the fuel injection experts. I'm presently running in my
> fuel injected turboed 18RG (without the turbo till the head gets
> retensioned) and i would like to run an O2 sensor, firstly to help tuning
> and secondly as a warning of lean outs at high boost. Apparently single
> wire sensors only last about a week when using leaded fuel as they get
> lead coated at low exhaust temps. Someone suggested that the 3 wire
> sensors (which are heated) may last longer. Has anyone tried this or know
> if it has been sucessfully used in a leaded fuel car.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
>  Justen Simpson             simpson at lake.canberra.edu.au
>  CRC for Freshwater Ecology, Uni of Canberra, Australia
> ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Yes, a heated sensor works very well. If you use both a digital vm
to read voltage and a fast responding led readout meter so you
can see excursions sensor makes, you can tell when sensor is getting
poisoned as range of excersions will reduce. Can regenerate sensor
for furthur use by running in unleaded car for few weeks.
Be aware that special sensors are used for a/f meters for reduced
flow and constant 650 deg C temperature.

Frank Parker

93 Civic EX vtec custom turbo
89 S-10 L98 V-8 with TFS/DFI/SuperRam