buick/holden v6 ,3800

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Mon Jun 24 00:23:47 GMT 1996

> Howdy all,
>           Does anyone know the difference between the australain holden
> commodore v6 3.8 L and the  buick v6 3.8 L supposedly holden australia spent
> over 1 mill on adapting it to "australian conditions",??

Aaah yes, the mystical "australian conditions", yes we all have to drive
over a mountain in ice and snow then across a furnace like desert plain
to get to work ;-)

> And secondly does anyone know whats involved in converting the throtle
> body,computer,etc,etc..... to being suitable for a v8 i.e. the rover/buick
> 3500,?

Err.. would be easier to use a custom manifold than try to re-engineer
V6 manifold to V8. (Byron Lister, tsg_bhl at opco.enet.dec.com has been
seriously tweaking a rover 3.5 V8 - twin turbos, efi etc)

> Thirdly if this is a totally stupid idea (I believe they run on maf
> map's,maybe dull down fuel pressure or something??) does anyone have any
> idea's on a conversion possible for the 3500,australian parts prefered
> :-),from carbie to fi,

Early (88-93(?)) commodores (VN,VP) used C3 computes with MAP load sense
93-now (VR,VS models) commodores use C4 computers, also with MAP.
(Actually I'm not 100% certain about the current VS 'ecotec' using map)

I sent a picture of the australianised 3800 engine to the GN (buick
grand national) list a few years back & they all oohed and aahhed about
it's configuration. Evidently the australian version is capable of
mounting a turbo 700 auto (whereas the US ones could only use a lesser
transmission). The intake manifold setup on the aus version is
supposedly better (& looks cooler).
As to the aus & us parts being interchangeable.. who knows? A
manifold/throttle body assembly would only cost a hundred or so (maybe a
bit more for the fuel rails, injectors & wiring). You could use a local
P3 computer from a 3800 V6 to run the injection.
(I originally looked into this to find out if a GN motor would fit into
a VN commodore)
The picture is at http://ni.umd.edu/gnttype/pictures/aus_3800.jpg

(nb I only figured out after re-reading your question that you wanted to
use 3800v6 parts on a 3500v8... doh!! I thought you mean aus V6 parts on
a US v6)
Cheers,
Craig.