Bill Boulton Replies....

William Boulton william at premier.apana.org.au
Sat Jun 29 00:22:37 GMT 1996

Sorry to have to do this to you folks, but I am having difficulty with my
e-mail. Generating individual replies is not practical at this time so I
have been forced to lump all into one big blob. I've separated them as
best I can.

Thanks from a newbie,
	Bill Boulton

=====John S Gwynne <Gwynne.1 at osu.edu>=================================

John,

You are right. Sorry, no offence meant. Comes of joining a conversation
already in progress.

With 32bit processing and 60 tooth sensor input, most things must be
trivial. I was refering to an inch by two of analogue device with only a
trigger input which does not seem to me to be a trivial exercise.

Bye for now,
	Bill Boulton

=====Paul Beam <paul at jbc.edu>=========================================

Paul,

Thanks, truely. In Oz there a number of companies offering recalibrated
memory chips for the unit and I have always had my doubts about their
claims. After reading your message and the one from Peter, I have little
doubt that the fertilizer industry is well and thriving down under.
Probably elsewhere too.

Do appreciate your input.

Thanks for everything,
	Bill Boulton

=====James Weiler <james at brc.ubc.ca>==================================

James,

Using TPS as load sense is fairly common and is the only viable system for
normally aspirated and cammy motors. Without a respectable level of
manifold vacuum at low throttle, a MAP sensor is next to useless and I
think the reversion in the intake system would make a MAF little better.
Throttle responce with a TPS/RPM system is about as good as it gets. The
only requirement for street use is to make the system sensitive enough in
the idle/off-idle/low load range (0-10%). By closing up the load sites at
the low end, good transition is achievable and you will have the sweetest
running sleeper possible.

The simplest system I have seen for v8s is the Holley Pro-Jection system.
It's a TBI unit that bolts on to a four barrel manifold. They have kits
for small block motors in dual throat form delivering 670cfm at 1.5" Hg
accross the butterfly. That's good for about 400bhp at 6500rpm. Don't
worry about having only two throats. They are about 1.75" in dia with no
ventuties.

Beyond that, you move into the area of systems that are more expensive
than the car. It's not just the box, it's all the other bits and bobs that
cost buckets. Of the units I know, Motec 3D would be the pick of the
bunch for entry level. Expensive, but the backing and reputation is
impressive. Most Australian Group-As use its' big brother.

On the subject of sensors. It's no good having more than can be
effectively utilized. A basic systems needs load (throttle, map), crank
speed, engine temperature (CST) and manifold air temperature (MAT).
everything else is of decreasing benefit and will require time inversely
proportional to its' benefit to utilize. In other words, the more you
have, the longer it takes to dial it in for maximum efficiency. In the
extreme, time to do a full dial-in of a Group A v8 with all its'
facilities (individual cylinder trim, end of injection timing, etc) will
see 8 to 10 hors and the motor going back for a rebuild when it comes off
the dyno. It won't go near the car till the next time. That's why I
suggested the Holley. It is almost crude in its' simplicity but still
makes a carby look like a petrol soaked rag.

Don't misunderstand fuel injection. It will not give more power than is
achievable with a carby of the same flow capacity. But it will allow you to
extract all of the power that has been built into the engine and it will
be a far more tractable with few or no bad habits.

There you go. That's my two cents worth I think. It's opinion, observation
but not gospel. Others will have different ideas I know.

GL,
	Bill Boulton.

=====Mark Boxsell <mrb at mpx.com.au>====================================

Mark,

Now you have aroused my curiosity. Tell me all about this nifty unit of
yours. Sounds impressive.

About the cost of the -008 modules, Fuel-Miser do replacements at lower
prices. About $70.00 RRP I think. Connectors for the Bosch units are
available from Petro-Ject. OK. So they aren't cheat either, but "When You
Gotta Go, You Gotta Go!".

yours
	Bill Boulton

Thats all for now. I hope to have the problems sorted out soon and I can
do the job properly. Sometimes Unix is a ................