Off topic, but related subject matter...

David Schmidt dschmidt at rain.org
Thu Mar 28 15:47:20 GMT 1996

In the new issue of Chilton's automotive industries, they did an article on
a company called AURA in California that is making some neat electrical
components for cars, such as an integrated flywheel/alternator/starter.
Also highlight was a solenoid activated valve train.  They have springs that
hold the intake and exhaust valves in mid open position.  A CLOSE and OPEN
solenoid is activated to either close or open the valve.  Since solenoids
don't work well over large distances, keeping the valve spring loaded in the
half lift position, they are able to use lower current solenoids.

    Apparently they've been modifying some major manufacturer's engines and
sending them back for performance reviews.  Interesting stuff.