Multispark stuff and other thoughts

Frank Parker fparker at umich.edu
Thu Mar 28 16:43:28 GMT 1996

> went out. You can then strike the plug again until you are satisfied
> that you've burnt everything! Jacob's Electronics claim they can do
> this with one coil firing many cylinders, but imagine how much better
> you can do it if you have an independant circuit for each cylinder.
> This is literally on demand multistrike capability and can extend your
>  lean limits and/or reduce feedgas emissions.

Jacobs describes normal physics as applying only to them. Their box is
nothing special. It does not have any special circuit like as seen in
recent SAE papers on monitoring spark ionization current. It is a neat idea.

> 5) Independant cylinder knock control. With two knock sensors, you can
> determine which cylinder is knocking and alter that cylinder's spark
> advance without screwing with the remaining cylinders' spark advance.

This is available now in the aftermarket from J&S. I use their box with
Bosch sensor. It can retard each cylinder selectively and you end up
with separate timing curves for ea cylinder. Or it can retard all the
same.

Frank Parker