Off topic, but related subject matter...

Charles_Flick_at_ya721 at platinum.brooks.af.mil Charles_Flick_at_ya721 at platinum.brooks.af.mil
Thu Mar 28 16:51:14 GMT 1996

CNN did a story on one of these system

Subject: Off topic, but related subject matter...
Author:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu at INTERNET-HUB
Date:    3/27/96 10:30 PM

        First off, introductions. My name is Terry Faugno. I work in San
Diego, California at a company called Qualcomm Inc. We researched,
developed, and are now marketing digital cellular telephony equipment. My
interest in DIY EFI is based on a passion for performance, and a love of
tinkering.
        My ultimate goal is to find a Porsche 911/912 or 944 or a 924,
install either a Buick 231 V6 or a small block Chevy engine, and fabricate a
SMPI fuel delivery system, super or turbocharger, and, as you'll read below,
a constantly variable valvetrain system. My desire is to see how much
horsepower can be derived from a smallish engine (300 CID maximum), without
sacrificing engine longevity. I selected the Porsche body(ies) as it has an
inbuilt capability for high performance, and they're quite stylish to boot.

        Now the off-topic, but related post mentioned in the subject header:

         I've heard rumours that a company somewhere had developed a system
that replaces camshafts with computer controlled solenoids to actuate the
valve train. Has anyone here heard the same, or know a logical point to
start searching from? From a performance standpoint, one could program a
limitless variety of "virtual camshaft" profiles, like Honda's VTEC, or any
of the available variable valve timing schemes. Only more so, as one is not
limited to 2 profiles.
        That's the gist of my question. Thank you in advance for any
information that any of the subscribers to this list might provide.

                        Thanx,
                         Terry