286 toyota...

Scott Davis ssdavis1 at students.uiuc.edu
Sat May 4 04:01:53 GMT 1996

Hello all...
	My name is Scott Davis, I am an ME at the University of
Illinois.  My current project is using a 286 system to control as many
functions on my car (1980 toyota corolla) as possible.

	This all started when I found a brand spankin new 286 12 MHz
motherboard in the trash outside of a building being refirbished.  Along
with a few PC jr's from a bygone age, I salvaged what I could a nd made
off for home.  Immediately, I wanted to put a system in my car- which
incidentally takes up quite a bit of my time.  I started with trying to
think of ways to use the processor to monitor the various temperatures
and states of the different parts of the car.  Then I posted a few
articles to a few newsgroups and got the http:// for this group.

	After reading the article on a digital ignition and EFI
conversion, I wanted to do the same.  Wouldn't it be nice to have that
kind of control over the car as it goes through its paces?  But I have
some questions for all of you...

	1.  How to make a 12v+ source into a clean set of +12v, -12v +5v
and -5v power to run the unit

	2.  What kind of A/D converters I/O boards and the like to
monitor anolog signals act upon that information  (I have very little
controller experience)

	3.  reliability.... What happens when the system goes down?
Safegurads... Backups...

	4.  How to get the system discribed to adapt to a four cylendar
car

	5.  any other ideas that you may have concerning the mounting of
a full scale computing device in a vehicle.  (and if it is not possible,
why not?)

	Thanks in advance.  I appreciate all of your input and look
forward to hearing from you.

Scott

ssdavis1 at students.uiuc.edu
80 Corolla SR-5