Virus

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 4 15:02:39 GMT 1996

>>> Does anybody know potential values for n?  Does it only damage the
>>> processor for certain values of n or are all values dangerous?

>>the bigger n the more dangereous the loop is
>>as I can remember my machine code lessons the processor temp relates
>>to n like
>>increase in TEMP = orig T + exp(n-40)
>>where 40 is the maximum stack value
>>note that the increase depends on the original temp
>>so just by cooling the proc you can lower the damage in your computer
>>if you can keep it under 40 deg celsius it'll survive with a light
>>alzheimer effect on the address and arithmetic units

>Yuck - Yuck

Dunno if it was to this list, but this reminds me of a particularly
cruel post I made regarding heatsinking TO-220 transistor packages.
I noted that one could use tabs cut from Coca-Cola cans and then
remarked that Pepsi cans wouldn't work.  Some trusting soul wrote
back asking if there were really any difference, and I replied 'yep'.
(Main difference is that I don't drink that nasty stuff?)

At any rate, I thought that was amusing (maybe only to me), and
harmless.  This stuff about 'mth' or 'nth' or 'jth' loops ( 'm' and
'n' loops are real nos. while 'jth' loops are integer -- right ??) is
also amusing and harmless -- but there are some innocents on the list
that (heh-heh) obviously believe all this stuff.  Maybe it's part of
a steep learning curve?

All I know is, I'm a real dummy about reciprocating engine fine points,
and Todd Knighton and many others on this list could have had some real
fun with me if they'd wanted to -- I'm grateful that they respected my
ignorance and werer kind enough to try to shed some light into the dark
recesses of what little gray matter I have left.

monitor smoke release algorithms) are fun, but not if it causes
someone to be embarassed or to quit the list.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>