Heated O2 sensor question

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Nov 15 03:50:13 GMT 1996

Hello,

I have a TPI car that I am about to add headers to, the O2 sensors that
it currently has are the 1 wire type.  I am planing on putting in the
heated 3 wire type.  I have read as much info as I could find in
heated O2 sensors, and found out there where two types, 1 type that
will work off 12 V and 1 type that needs 10 volts for the heater and
will
burn out with 12V.  I understand the the 10volt type is more expensive.
I need to know if there is a way to tell the 10volt type from the
12 volt type.  The ones that I have supposely have came from ACCEL and
have a part number of 74761 written on the bag, and has a 5J8 stamped
on the sensor itself.  The sensors itself has 2 white wires, and 1
black wire.  The resistance between the 2 white wires (for the heater)
is 6 ohms cold.  If anyone knows which kind these are, or about how much
one of the 10volt types would cost, or what the resistance of a normal
sensor is or the resistance of the 10 volt type is, that would probably
help me determine which kind the ones I have are.

If it is the 12 volt type, is it just powered by 12 volts (through
a fuse of course)?

>From what I have read I  am assuming that if they are the 10volt type,
from they have a very different operation curves, and would probably
not work very well in a engine setup for a normal 02 sensor, so I
would need to get different O2 sensors.  If the curve for the 10volt
type would work ok, I would be able to setup the proper voltage for
the heater.

				Thanks for any assistance,
				Roger Heflin

Roger Heflin                    rah at horizon.hit.net