Lambda Sensors....

Frank/G.speed fmlin at ccnet3.ccnet.com
Fri Nov 15 08:14:28 GMT 1996

My understanding is that the current oxygen sensor used on mass
produced vehicles are only good to tell you if you're at stoich.
Other wise it can tell you that you're rich or lean, but it can't
tell you how much.  If it did, then the ECU can just make adjustments
constantly and you won't ever need to go open loop unless something
fails.

Now, I don't understand the difference in a $5000+ Horiba oxygen
sensor and a $30 Bosch for regular cars.  I mean, I know a good
sensor has a wide range and can tell you the exact A/F ratio.  But
why are they so expensive.  Please, get techical if you have to.
I'd love to learn more.

When I first posted to the list couple of weeks ago I asked about
the LambdaView (LV) from C&M Racing Systems.  Frank Parker from the list
told me last he heard it was not ready yet.

I read about LV in 6/95 issue of 5.0 Mustang.  "The LV is the first
true A/F ratio meter that is affordable for the average Joe, costing
only $650.  IT works with both carbureted and FI cars and measures A/F
ratios from about 10:1 up to 18:1, while the Horiba measures beyond
these limits.  However it is unlikely you will ever need to adjust
your engine beyond the capability of the LV, since best power is made
in the 12-13:1 A/F ratio range.  Thus the LV does everything an
enthusiast could ever need, at one tenth the cost of a comparable
unit."

--
Frank M. Lin	   | G.speed - Z.Speed Trust HKS DC-Sports Razo/Carmate Soei
fmlin at ccnet.com    | Web page - http://www.winternet.com/~fmlin/gspeed.html