Ignition timing ref points

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Wed Oct 9 01:09:30 GMT 1996

Hi Todd,

>   <<<   From: Kalle Pihlajasaari <kalle at device.data.co.za>
>   Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 12:39:54 +0200 (sat)
>   Subject: Ignition timing reference points
>   I was thinking of adding a 256 or 360 slot optical interrupter disk into
>   my distributor to give double the that number of edges every rev
>   of the dizzy (or the same resolution on the crank).  Is one degree
>   on the crank accurate enough for a totally digital one or two of
>   design for a mapped ignition.  Interrupter disks like this are   >>>
>
>   Well again, you can do alot with less firepower than this. Not to imply that
>   Best I ever came up with was that down in the 3 timing events per rev scale
>   the crank accel was pretty negligible; 'Course I'd welcome some more precise
>   input on this!

Everything you say is probably spot on.  I however like to overkill
where possible to avoid problems later.  As it is a one or two of
design the thing does not have to be particularly 'consumer'
priced.

I want to do the timing with no interpolation so that the counter
can be very dumb and just count pulses ant any RPM and then go blip.

Cheers
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751