Using pc parts

Terry Sare Terry_Sare at dell.com
Thu Oct 10 14:04:11 GMT 1996

     Actually, W95 or Windows 3.1 is your cheapest method of graphics for a
     PC. While the reliability is somewhat suspect in that environment, it
     is actually the easiest to write for using commercial graphics
     library. Combine that with Visual Basic and you don't have to learn
     Windows programming either. Yes, I know Windows s--ks but its cheap.
     Yes, you also need a laptop style HD shock mounted to run it.

     Now if you don't mind rolling your own code, there are several
     libraries that do graphics under DOS. You just have to write all the
     code -- typically in 'C'. Everybody has jumped on the Windows
     bandwagon so I don't have to many references available at work.

     This is small extract from Embedded Systems Programming Aug. Issue
     Gigasoft 817-431-8470 graphics
     McRae Software 216-543-9242 GUI
     Ted Gruber Software 702-735-1980 Graphics.

     Another reference you can look in C User Journal. They have lots of
     ads for libraries.

     Of course if you have $$ QNX Photon GUI for QNX is verry nice -- so is
     QNX for process control. I have been playing with it in the lab and it
     has some nice features. Labview is easier but also pricy and windows
     based.

     My 2 cents on PC usage. Engine control is iffy but they make great
     display machines for your dashboard. They also can be used as
     dataloggers, etc. and network control for various systems used in the
     car. At one time I was looking at using a PC for the dashboard and
     distributed processing using Arcnet for communications link in my 68
     Firebird. I don't understand EFI and engines well enough to do it so
     it got dropped. This list has been very educational!!!!

     TS

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, George M. Dailey wrote:

[mucho snippage]

> So, what's available for those fancy graphical interfaces in a PC controlled
> i/o system?

  I was planning to use LabView (cost mucho dollars... but check out the
alliance discount).  Has one of the easiest to use interfaces out
there... Not only that, but is really nifty as a programmming method.

Drawbacks:
  1. For big things, you need BIG computer.  (Runse under Windows)
  2. Cost.. $2K.  But for a $100 alliance membership, you get 40% off (I
     think).

                Thor Johnson
       johnsont at falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu
   http://falcon.mercer.peachnet.edu/~johnsont