Air flow meter modification

Bosch, AN, Andrew, Dr ABOSCH at sports.uct.ac.za
Thu Oct 10 15:06:19 GMT 1996

Hi all

Maybe someone can help. Firstly, I'm probably going to reveal my lack
of understanding by asking this queation, but here goes:

The L-Jetronic has a flapper type air flow meter. If one measures the
resistance along the graphite? track, it seems to change as you move
a meter along the track in no seemingly logical way i.e the reading
increases, then decreases, then increases again, etc Thats one
question. The next is that I was wondering why the following
shouldn't work: remove the A/F meter and remove the board with the
sweeper. Then connect the board and sweeper dirctly to the shaft of
the throttle body. As the throttle opens, there will now be a direct
drive to the old A/F meter "mechanism". Only problem that I can think
of is that the relationship between the amount of opening of the
throttle  and the movement generated at the "old" A/F meter mechanism
will not be the same as in the "normal" set-up. So I figured that some
sort of gearing system could be built in, so that eg when the
throttle is half open, the A/F meter mechanism is fully across its
sweep. I thought of doing this electronically, but then came up with
the problem presented at the start of this post, namely that there
does not seem to be a linear change in resistance in the A/F meter
mechanism. The reason for all this, of course, is to try and do away
with the very restrictive A/F meter.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Dr A. N. Bosch
Physiology Department/ Sports Science Institute
University of Cape Town Medical School
P. O. Box 115
Newlands 7700
South Africa