Using pc parts

Terry Sare Terry_Sare at dell.com
Thu Oct 10 20:10:49 GMT 1996

     Actually, there are some standards being worked upon. The SAE does
     have class of vehicle-multiplexing system, A, B, and C. Class D is
     being worked on.

     I don't know a lot about any of this but CAN is Class C and J1850 is
     Class B. This is from article in Circuit Celler April 96 on Vehicular
     Control Multiplexing. Combine the two and you get something complex.
     Motorola has some chips for this also.

     Arcnet is a 2.5 Mbit/s hardware link used primarly in factories now.
     It was one of the first PC networks, etc. before being replaced by
     Ethernet. SMC makes an 8051 with a built in ARcnet controller and they
     also make a stand alone controller. They have modified the spec to 5
     Mbit/sec. The avantage to Arcnet is that the packet times are
     determistic AND the protocal is handled in hardware. Other than
     mapping the network, you get an intruppt if the message is for you,
     otherwise your micro never knew about it. Uses RS485 for a link. Nice
     and simple for embedded micros.
     TS

-----

> So here's a thing. I remember one of those irritating Infiniti commericals
> about a year ago when the the Infiniti poster boy was talking about an
> in-car lan. I know nothing about it. Does anyone? Is there something we
> can salvage from it? What was on it? Are the transcievers cheap?
>
> Thanks,
>      Dan

There's a number of people whom make these car Lan transceivers.
The CAN bus is primarily used by BMW, I think they get their parts from Seimens
but I am not sure.

I (squared)C is another bus type. I am not sure who uses this.

The point is: there is NO standard for automotive communication busses.

If automakers could get together and create a standard bus, the price of the
parts would come down due to economy of scale.

SAE ought to start a standards process to get the ball rolling.

In telecom we do this all the time.

-Dan

--
=> Dan DeClerck                        | EMAIL: declrckd at cig.mot.com      <=> Mo
torola Cellular CSD               |                                  <=>"The tru