PC efi

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Fri Oct 11 03:26:02 GMT 1996

All of the talk about PC based efi systems is interesting.  Buy a data
acuisition card, $300, buy an industrial timing card or 2, $400, or build
one $? + much time, get a whole pc with lcd monitor or a single board pc
with an lcd monitor, >$500 and then program in whatever language you like,
C,+,+, basic, fortran, pascall, forth, dbase, prolog, pearl, etc.  Then you
have to find a place to mount it and buy a power converter $100.

Or you could just buy a controller board that uses a zilog, motorola, intel
or whatever type of 8, 16 or 32 bit controller.  The board will have a
serial port, a keyboard port, a timing unit, analog and time inputs, memory,
an lcd interface, be able to run high level languages, and run on a single
supply.  The size is about 6 by 4 inches and will cost less than $500.

Or you could take the tight wad approach like I did and buy a single chip
like an HC11 or 8051, a couple of cherry injector drivers, and start
building.  By using a micro that had everything built in, including enough
EEPROM to write the program in and a stock ignition and magnetic
distributor, I made a fuel control with ignition for about 100 samolies that
is simple, reliable, and was quick enough to build that while the people on
this list have been trying to decide what to do, I have been driving my car.

Lets just pick something and start building.  I would like to see some
discussions about problems encountered when putting engines in gear with hot
cams, problems at different temps, starting problems, and how these problems
are solved.  Lets have some efi systems running out there.  EFI is fun on a
car and a great thrill when the key is turned for the first time and the
engine goes:  err err err put put sputter sputter bang pop varoom ruddin
rudding.

Just a pennies worth, can't affort any more, I am an engineer.

David J. Doddek                                          |pantera at pobox.com
Owner SGD Electronics & Development Engr for Caterpillar |h 309 685-7965
Formula SAE Team Sidewinder 94-95                        |w 309 578-2931
89 T-bird SC,  69 Fairlane w/SGD EFI                     |fx 217 428-4686
74 Pantera w/Electromotive Tec-II Twin turbos and Nitros |
Hey, If you are going to go fast, go REEEAAL FAST.       |