DIY_EFI Digest V1 #277

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Thu Sep 19 06:35:15 GMT 1996

Bob Harris has mentioned a desire to inject water at a precise point in the
combustion cycle just for grins to see what happens. I'd think one would
want to
preheat the water to little less than the boiling point, and then inject
after the
combustion was well on it's way so you wouldn't snuff it. I also imagine that
ceramic coatings on the water handling hardware would do wonders for component
life. Anyhow I believe there may be an existing engine suited to this. The
little
Plymouth(I think they called them champ, or chimp) had a 3rd lobe on the cam
that
actuated a 3rd valve for what they called a "stratified charge". Had
something to do
with putting a proper mixture around the plug, and lean everywhere else.
There was an adjustment on the rocker arm so you could play with that for
timing. I'd imagine that
some type of mechanical injector could be machined into the space used by
the stratified charge system.
   And I don't think you're nuts!