Math Question

John Napoli jgn at li.net
Thu Sep 19 16:53:17 GMT 1996

Unless some real efficient heat/electric device was available, and used to
drive the car, not much of a gain will be seen.  Heck, if such an
efficient direct heat/electric capability existed, we could replace our
engines with oil burners (like the one o\in your basement)!

Power plants have 2 advantages.  THey don't move.  So weight of the extra
equipment isn't a problem.  And they are amortized over something like
thirty-five years.  Helps with the costs.  Now while some of us might have
overweight project cars that never move and just eat dollars, that is not
the point!  :)

So I expect that this issue will remain pretty much a sore point unless
somehow we figure out how to use the waste heat to perform mechanical
work.  Your car just does not use enough electrical power to gain much by
eliminating the alternator, although of course it is a step in the right
direction.

John