wasted-heat

hoss karoly timothy at bekes.hungary.net
Thu Sep 19 21:40:04 GMT 1996

John Napoli wrote:

> Unless some real efficient heat/electric device was available, and used to
> drive the car, not much of a gain will be seen.  Heck, if such an
> efficient direct heat/electric capability existed, we could replace our
> engines with oil burners (like the one o\in your basement)!

the peltier cells are widely used in automotive drink-coolers and they
are really
efficient in a way : they use waste-heat used for nothing
the altRnator uses the engine's power so it can be 100% efficient - it
uses Xtra fuel

> So I expect that this issue will remain pretty much a sore point unless
> somehow we figure out how to use the waste heat to perform mechanical
> work.  Your car just does not use enough electrical power to gain much by
> eliminating the alternator, although of course it is a step in the right
> direction.

well , I'd be more careful about estimating the ele-power-consumption of
my car
only the front lights are a little above 900 watts :)
(it  helps finding the way ;) )
the audio sys eats up some 200-300 W the stand-heating 40-200 W
the seat-heating ? only saab knows ( I found it in a saab 900 )

the H-O catalist cells are used in space applications
maybe someone can build one for diesel-air it'll be light and extremely
efficient
it must be - according to the books but it states noone has found the
right
catalisator YET
bye
charley
ps how do would you make a pre-heated water injector for a diesel ?