GM Coolant sensor

Chris Morriss crsm at oroboros.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 22:27:36 GMT 1996

In message <9608198431.AA843148124 at afcperth.aesprodata.com.au>,
dzorde at aesprodata.com.au writes

>     That is what they are for, but wouldn,t it be great to get rid of an
>     op-amp.  Hence try and reduce the amount of circuitry required.
>     Something like a simple LCD temp read out (very useful for diff,
>     gearbox and water in race cars), temp sensor, a small resistor divider
>     and a panel meter, and its guarranteed to be very reliable, once you
>     start throwing in op-amps, etc.  you need very steady power supply
>     rails to avoid inaccurate readings.  So is there a positive temp
>     coefficient sensor around ? (could always make one if I have to, but
>     its easier if there's a car that's already using one).
>

>     Dan        dzorde at aesprodata.com.au

I use a Nat Semi LM50. This is a linear sensor with an output that
increases with increasing temperature.  The TO92 version can be fitted
into an old dismantled water temp sensor if required.  Use heatshrink
sleeving as insulation.  As it is a 3-wire sensor it needs a +ve feed as
well as the ground and output wire.
--
Chris Morriss