Alternator drain

Jeremy Pronk jpronk at st.nepean.uws.edu.au
Tue Apr 1 10:26:24 GMT 1997

This question may be a little off topic, but I think some of you will be
able to help me.

The previous owner of my car installed a larger alternator, he said it was
to cope with the extra power needed by the efi system. Well, now that
system is gone, I think the alternator is to much of a drain on the cars
engine (eg. when I turn the lights on the engine dies down and usually
out).

The std alternator drains out 43-45 amps into 14V's. But the alternator
which I have now drains 85 amps into 14V's (its just a 1.5ltr engine).

Is the overly large alternator the source of the problems?

thanks for help, Jeremy