info

Heath Parker heathp.usouthal at campus.mci.net
Fri Apr 18 07:11:00 GMT 1997

Hello all,
	I had a similar prob on my 84 chevy truck--which did not have a feedback
carburetor or FI and whose ignition retard system was completely analog,
w/o trouble codes, etc.  I first replaced the knock sensor itself, which
fixed it for about 2 weeks, then it started the same thing at idle--timing
varying widely.  This distributor has mechanical advance weights, Vacuum
advance and a 5-wire(er, 5-terminal) module--
I _think_ but am not sure this is an "ESC" distributor.  Unfortunately, I
can't give you any rock-hard "it's this part" answers as I finally got
frustrated and yanked it, as I was certain the motor was not knocking.
Very little service info available (that I could find) for these.
However, I can suggest checking these things:
A) wiring to Knock sensor--near exhaust-need I say more?
B) Ignition module itself (I have seen a plain HEI do strange things w/ a
bad module)
C) Mechanical advance springs--Are they too weak, and fluctuating?

PS  One known symptom:  Advance timing(at dist.), and it falls 4 deg.;
repeats if you try to advance some more--sometimes will stall motor, as
timing ran to about 6 late(after).