info

Ross Myers ponty at axis.jeack.com.au
Tue Apr 22 12:24:01 GMT 1997

> Ross Myers wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > >         Nieghbor came over and wanted help on his 82 Camaro. Local shop told
> > > him that he need a esc module because timing didn't advance. Module is well
> > > over $100 at GM, only source. Check timing and found it advances with or
> > > without module attached. Main symtom appears to be idle varies widely. I
> > > suspected module is for retarding if pinging is sensed. Can anyone help ?
> > > The 82 has cross fire injection, all simple tune up items have been done.
> > > Car does pass smog test for calif.
> > >
> > > Thanks Vance
> > >

> > The ESC module is indeed used in the pinging detection process, so I
> > would assume it is as good as useless at idle.
> > With your Idle problem, I'd check that both IAC motors (at the front
> > of the throttle bodies) are working, unplug them one at a time (a 4
> > pin connector I think). Or try pulling the power to the ECM to reset
> > it's correction factors, it may have lost the plot!!.
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Ross
>
> Hey Ross,
>
> 	Actually, if it was like my 1978 Nova it might have come in handy,  I
> was adjusting the engine timing a couple of months ago abnd I actually
> had pinging durring idle.  I wonder how it would work then??  Of course
> if my Nova had a computer I wouldn't have to adjust the engine timing.
> ;)
>
> 			VTY
> 			Mark Glicksman
> 			mglicksm at suffolk.lib.ny.us

Oh boy pining at idle, the ESC is still active at idle, as its a good
way to test if it's working by tapping the handle of a screwdriver on
the top of the intake manifold to see if the timing changes (and it
does), but lets face it you'd have to be a fair way out of wack on
something to get pinging (or a knock like pinging) at idle.
And given I've done this experiment on my T/A with X-fire injection,
I know an active ESC at idle does not cause widely varying idle,
reduced RPM yes, but not like what Vance described..
BTW, hope the poor old Nova isn't still knocking at idle :-)
What I was really getting at was under normal driving conditions with
a healthy engine, the ESC would only need to become active under
typical pinging situtations, up a hill in 4th with a tank of crap gas
etc.

Ross Myers

Petrol is for Cleaning
Alcohol is for Drinking