Radar Scrambling

Tuck sldbrass at infi.net
Tue Apr 22 16:05:14 GMT 1997

At 09:29 04/22/97 +0000, you wrote:

>> I know this is ludicrously off-topic, but the people in this
>> newsgroup seem to know engineering, electronics and cars --
>>
>> does anyone have any good/bad experiences with any police radar
>> scramblers?
>
>There was one that worked, the Stealth something-or-other.  Stay away
>from passive devices (what the majority are).  The stealth was an
>active device with an FCC license.  How, you ask?  It wasn't
>registered as a transmitting device, but as a computing device.
>Computing devices are allowed to emit no more than "x" watts over a
>wide frequency range.  The stealth was a computing device that
>happened to emit all it's RF power budget in the vicinity of X and K
>bands.  What a coincidence.  I use past tense here because I think
>they're out of business these days.

I seem to recall a product from a few years back called the Phantom (I'm
sure there are at least 50 different so-called passive jammers with this
name) that was supposed to be fully active for X and K band radar.  And not
just throwing out RF, but actually having some steering logic to
specifically screw with the radar that was being operated.  It was very
expensive too, almost 700 bucks as I recall.  They did say that they were
planning on a Ka superwide jammer, but I never followed up on that.

Everything that I have ever read involving real world tests has said that
passive devices did exactly two things jack and ....

Justin "Tuck" Cordesman
SOLID BRASS-> Attraction is composed of desire and danger.

"The truth is that men who say that they wish to go out with a bang have a
wisdom that their fellows do not.  For they alone understand that when
death takes them, it must be that he has snuck up upon them and struck them
down with a single blow.  If they are left alive and die slowly -
lingering, then they know that they die because they had the chance to
fight death and they have failed.  They know that death has stolen their
will.  This is the greatest shame that a man who lusts for life can know."

	-Tuck (?-), Earth Leader. Lecture to the Huddled Masses, #1 (1997).