Radar Scrambling

Scot O. Stockton scot at emu.sp.trw.com
Tue Apr 22 16:20:33 GMT 1997

~>>I know this is ludicrously off-topic, but the people in this newsgroup seem to know
engineering, electronics and cars --
~>>does anyone have any good/bad experiences with any police radar scramblers?
~>>
~>>geoff
~>
~>Never used one myself, although they seem deceptively easy to build.  But for those of us
~>in the US the penalty is 10yrs in jail and/or $100K in fines for illegal broadcasting.  I
think
~>an active jammer would be easy to detect and see when your pulled over.
~>
~>And the FCC takes this very seriously.
~
~been awhile since I've looked at the FCC regs, but they'd have
~to persecute ;-) every CB-er who's over 5 watts and off-freq
~plus if you're less than (I think) 100 mW you're probably
~safe -- the microwave freqs they use are very short range
~and fairly unregulated -- now it'd be a different story is
~some over-zealous DA decided to file on you in federal court
~(just don't be a political adversary  8^)
~
~Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>

Well, wadda ya know ...

I received last night the "Phazer" which is a RADAR/LASER *passive* jammer.

It is supposed to mix a chirp into the reflected signal to confuse the gun.

The paperwork with it says it is legal _because_ it is passive and that there
is a "punch through" distance of 100 feet or so.  IOW, when you zip around the
corner and see the gun pointing at you, you are still tagged.

And I also made sure that there was a return policy for this device from the
company that I bought it from.  We'll see.

Now where is that speedo calibrator that the police here like to set up ...

L8r,
-S                                [EFI Rat infested '39 Ford Tudor Sedan Deluxe]
{Chopped, nosed, shaved, slammed and frenched -
                                       - sounds sorta like Cher or Michael, no?}