Home Dyno

Michael McBroom bodhi at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 7 17:00:46 GMT 1997

Tom Cloud wrote:

> >Thought some may want to know about this:
> >
> >> From: Michael Chaney <mchaney at charm.net>
> >> To: fourth-gen at f-body.org; third-gen at f-body.org
> >> Subject: [3] Home Dyno Kit for Win 95
> >> Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 10:13 PM
> >>
> >> Ok guys.  After programming my eyeballs off and fingers to the bone,
> >> version 2.0 of the home dyno kit has hit the streets.
>
> anyone ever use this ??   ..... comments ??
> Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>

Haven't used it, but I DO have some comments.  I visited the guy's
website and read through the info there.  In addition to his software
and pickup, there's a bunch of other stuff you need to use it.  An
alternative exists that is FREE, requires a lot less anciliary hardware
(you need a stop-watch and/or a microcassete recorder or equivalent,
plus you need spreadsheet software that will handle or convert from
Microsoft Excel), is an SAE-approved testing method, and will result in
very accurate numbers, providing the numbers you input are accurate.  A
fellow named Jon Glommen put together an Excel spreadsheet using this
testing procedure, and it is available at the TurboBricks website.  The
spreadsheet's page is located at:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4242/dyno.htm

I was able to get Quatro Pro to translate the Excel file, dunno about
other spreadsheet packages like Lotus 1-2-3, but I suspect it shouldn't
be too big of a problem.

After doing my test runs and inputting the data, the numbers I came up
with were right about what I thought they should be.  Nice thing about
the spreadsheet is it gives you hp and torque figures in 2500 rpm
increments, PLUS because it's a spreadsheet, you can customize it for
your own applications, PLUS you can have your spreadsheet software
generate graphs of your results.

--
Best,

Michael McBroom

'87 745T 123k w/APC                 Visit the Volvo Performance Site:
'88 765T 156k                           http://mcbrooms.com/volvo

Graduate Student, Linguistics                         Author of
Research Interest: Biological Origins       =McBroom's Camera Bluebook=
of Language                                     http://mcbrooms.com
California State University, Fullerton