Home Dyno

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Thu Aug 7 17:31:44 GMT 1997

> Tom Cloud wrote:
> >
> > >Thought some may want to know about this:

> > anyone ever use this ??   ..... comments ??
> > Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>
>
> Haven't used it, but I DO have some comments.  I visited the guy's
> website and read through the info there.  In addition to his software
> and pickup, there's a bunch of other stuff you need to use it.  An
> alternative exists that is FREE, requires a lot less anciliary hardware
> (you need a stop-watch and/or a microcassete recorder or equivalent,
> plus you need spreadsheet software that will handle or convert from
> Microsoft Excel), is an SAE-approved testing method, and will result in
> very accurate numbers, providing the numbers you input are accurate.  A
> fellow named Jon Glommen put together an Excel spreadsheet using this
> testing procedure, and it is available at the TurboBricks website.  The
> spreadsheet's page is located at:
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4242/dyno.htm

I also did the exact same program on my WWW automotive programs site:

http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling/auto.html

access the highway dynomometer link.

However, one should realize that if one uses an automatic transmission
and measures RPM and does not know the transfer function between the
engine and the rear wheels (gear ratio is not enough - converter slippage,
etc needs to be known), then accuracy is comprimised. I put in a simple
transmission model, it might be o.k for some apps.

I can divulge to code to everyone if it is wanted. I used a cubic spline
interpolant thru the RPM numbers in order to have a easy way to compute
the first and second derivatives needed, and at any point between RPMs.

- Bruce

                 Bruce A. Bowling
                 Staff Scientist
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23606
                 (804) 249-7240
bowling at cebaf.gov  http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling