SV: Adjusting Boost

Michael McBroom bodhi at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 9 23:43:28 GMT 1997

DemonTSi at aol.com wrote:

> Whoops...sorry for the poor information everybody!  :)
> I just remember there was quite some discussion a few months back about some
> Saab system that supposedly controlled a pop off valve, limiting the amount
> of boost that way. I had always thought that that was a very ineffective
> method of "controlling" boost, but I remember some people saying that it
> worked pretty well...hmmm...

Well, it does control a "valve," but it just isn't the pop-off valve.
It's a solenoid valve that controls the amount of boost the wastegate
actuator "sees," and is a separate entity altogether from the pop-off
valve.

My original question remains unanswered, though: will this method suffer
from the same sort of inaccuracies due to uneven or irregular spring
tension that other pressure actuated systems are prone to?  It seems to
me that, because the solenoid is controlling boost levels that the
actuator "sees" that this would tend to have a mitigating effect.

I guess I'm also a bit concerned that this may be drifting away from
this list's focus, so if anyone knows of a turbocharging-specific list
or lists, I'd apreciate it if you would forward URL or email data.

--
Best,

Michael McBroom

'87 745T 123k w/APC                 Visit the Volvo Performance Site:
'88 765T 156k                           http://mcbrooms.com/volvo

Graduate Student, Linguistics                         Author of
Research Interest: Biological Origins       =McBroom's Camera Bluebook=
of Language                                     http://mcbrooms.com
California State University, Fullerton