Too good to let go by - Miller Cycle

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Aug 12 03:13:35 GMT 1997

Most Miller Cycle engines ASSUME adequate power is available and
there fore trade POWER for FUEL Efficiency.  The specific mechanism
is that raising the compression ratio raise's the efficiency of an engine
quite startlingly.  Research suggests that POWER and EFFICIENCY
increase  with compression ratio up to about 17 to one.  The problem
is detonation.  A Miller Cycle conversion made by Crane or Crower
after the 79 Crude Control Crisis ran a small block Chevy at a 15 to
one compression on unleaded low octane pump gas.  They had to
stroke the crap out of it to both get the compression and regain the
power.   By limiting intake charge, you can safely compress the
reduced charge back to the original low compression chamber pressure
of say 9:1  and have an EXPANSION ratio of 15 or 16 to one and all
the bennies of really good forced exhaust extraction.

Running a higher octane fuel reduces the advantages of extreme compression
and by the time you are running methane - there is no advantage.

Increasing the charge density by mechanical means simply means the
Miller Cycle becomes detonation limited at ridiculously LOW manifold
pressures.  Just drop the compression and put a power cam in.

One thing tho - every one of you has watched Miller Cycle engines in
triple digit competion - pret near every weekend.  NASCAR. Yup.  The
restrictor plate effectively turns the engine into a Miller Cycle at RPM
and thats why they are limited to 14 to one.  Some smart ass's figured
out that with restricted intake, you could go to 18 to one or more and
get back most of the lost power without detonation.  Cam's aren't the
only way to limit the charge to less than 100% VE

"When some one gets something for nothing -
             some one else gets nothing for something "

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>

diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu