Reality of Fuel Consumption

Clint Corbin ccorbin at rt66.com
Wed Aug 13 01:03:50 GMT 1997

At 02:16 AM 8/12/97 -0400, you wrote:

>1. Until Columbus, the world was flat, not round.

Actually, there where a whole lot of people who thought the world was
round way before Columbus!  Heck, in the bible Christ says "In the day
in which I come........  In the night in which I come....."  That was
just a bit before Columbus, don't you think?

>4. Certain purpose-built automobiles have broken the 300MPH bracket.

Actually, certain purpose-built automobiles have gotten right up to the
speed of sound!

>5. Stealth fighers exist. (we think).

They are not fighters, but light bombers.  Unless you count the F-22.

>6. Helicopters can fly straight up, with the rotor assembly held on by a
>single grade 5 aircraft nut. (okay, a big one)

>And while we don't have 100MPG cars, the technology is right around the
>corner.  Advanced materials are constantly being developed, new ideas form,
>people think.  The Wankel engine was a fantastic example of a new idea.  No
>pistons.  Piston engines have been around since 1903.  Its 1997.  Its time
>for a new idea folks.

Uh, the Wankel DOES have pistons.  They just aren't round!  But they are
pistons
by any measure.  As for 100MPG cars, they are going to be itty bitty tiny
things
unless someone figures out a good way around the laws of thermodynamics.  I'm
definitely not going to hold my breath waiting on that on!  Now me, I
personally
would like to see a vehicle that ran on the background cosmic energy!  That
would
be interesting!

Clint

PS:  Sorry folks, just couldn't help but add my $0.01 worth.