No Mo O2 sensor

Steve Meade smeade at deltanet.com
Sun Aug 24 04:09:20 GMT 1997

----------
> From: Jason G. <verde at northwest.com>
> To: DIY_EFI at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: No Mo O2 sensor
> Date: Saturday, August 23, 1997 7:21 PM
>
> I was talking with a friend about how to get rid of or fooling the ECU
into
> thinking the O2 sensor was reading perfect. He thought that if you
supplied
> the right amount of voltage to the sensor then it would read perfect all
the
> time and never effect the ECU. That way you can use the water temp and
other
> sensors to better tune the EFI.
>
> Any thoughts????

	I've actually thought about this approach to modification. There are
several problems, though. With what you describe above, you actually lose a
lot of functionality in the ECU. While driving, your engine actually uses
the O2 sensor to provide a good mixture. Also, your car already does what
you are trying to achieve (no o2 sensor input) while at wide open throttle.
Intercepting the water temp sensor is a good idea though. I believe that
many GM EFI units actually have a 2d table in them where the mixture is
richened to varying degrees according to temperature. You could probably
even build a a knob-type device to control mixture on demand. Of course,
this would only work at WOT since the O2 sensor would override the rich
condition anyways. If you wanted to be really smart and sophisticated you
could build micro-based computer which takes in the normal water pump
signal and either amplifies or attenuates according to a table in rom with
RPM vs fuel. I think this would be a great alternative to trying to reverse
engineer an OEM system. However, this system would only work if you had
actually done engine modifications which require different fueling (ie:
cam, increased displacement, ported head, etc.) Otherwise, you're just
richening up the mixture.
Steve Meade
smeade at deltanet.com