Injector control question

Seth n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Sun Aug 24 05:41:43 GMT 1997

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Tom Cloud wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> >> In examining my Holley ProJection (model 502 analog) I find
> >> that the pulse width to the injectors is a constant (approximate)
>
>         [ snip ]
>
> >> NEXT ...
> >>
> >>    Some time back (few weeks ago) there was a question
> >> about building a meter to monitor the PW of injectors
>
> and Bruce replied:
>
> >About a year ago, I made such a meter out of a PIC 16C56 chip
>
> but Bruce, you didn't address my primary query -- that
> being:
>
>         "why does one want to know the PW when it's the
>          duty cycle that's impotent (regardless of whether
>          one uses fixed PRR/var. PW or fixed PW/var. PRR) ??
>
> Am I incorrect about that ??  I recognize that there's going
> to be errors in fuel delivery calcs at the opening and closing
> of the injector, so short pulses would deliver less fuel/time
> than long pulses and this would imply that a simple duty
> cycle measurement would have some inherent errors, but I'd
> think they'd be minimal.
>
> IOW, seems that duty cycle is what you want to measure, not PW ????
>

> Tom Cloud
>
>         Ever stop to think .... and forget to start again ??

Why would you want to know the duty cycle?  Other than determining if you
break 85% and rick holding the injector open...  If you have a sequential
port efi, wouldn't you align the injectors in phase with the intake
event,, so frequency would vary with rpm, then adjust pulse width
according to volumetric efficiency at that point (determined by MAP or
throtle position).  That is what I am designing around with my 68HC11
project.  They duty cycle is all over the map from ~1.5% to ~85%, but the
pulse width is from 1.5ms to 18 ms.  Maybe I am overlooking something?

Seth