Ignition timing set-up

Dave Compton DCompton at JNPCS.COM
Tue Aug 26 15:07:02 GMT 1997

You basically need to recurve the distributor.
There is too much centrifugal advance being added to the curve by the
distributor.  Stiffer springs, limiting plates, lighter weights, however
you want to do it.  If you can take advance out of the dist and then add it
abkc in with the static timing (at the crank) then you'll be way ahead.

Ford Motorsport used to sell a little pack of 8 springs for like 5 bucks
but I haven't seen one in ages.

I don't know how different your engine is from stock, but EGR actually
helps to reduce detonation.

I can't remember which way does what on the vac can.

I suggest you pull the distributor, and "play" with it to see what happens,
when it's spinning.  Then remove some of that advance.  You can also watch
the plate move when you apply vacuum with a hand pump, and determine which
way to turn it.

In general, the whole timing curve, should be set for no knocking
acceleration from 1000 on up to max revs, in top gear.  Then, you add vac
advance til just before it pings.  This will give max power and economy.

Oh, I always liked ported spark best.

Hey TOM!

BUY AND READ DR.JACOBS GUIDE TO AUTOMOTIVE IGNITION!!!!!!!!!!!!

CU

Dave
DCompton at SmartWorx.com
www.SmartWorx.com/DCompton