injector bosses

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 29 19:59:07 GMT 1997

>Corey Cole wrote:
>
>>I haven't heard anyone mention the use of silver solder yet.  IIRC, it's
>>pretty strong, very little heat xfered into the work, and pretty common.
>>I can't say that I've used it for this, but it seems to me that this is yet
>>another way to skin this cat.
>>
>>--
>
>This works realy well in thinwall steel tubing fab inlet manifolds,
>Cosworth Engineering made most of the manifolds used on their engines
>baised on the Ford 105E this way, the ones for the side draft Weber DCOE
>carbs seem to have been furnace brazed.
>
>Brian

can't speak for what they did, but diffusion pumps (hi-vac)
coolant water tubing are often silver soldered onto the pump
in a hydrogen furnace -- it's a sealed "kiln" that has pure
H2 bled through it into a stack above the building where it's
burned -- obviously dangerous so must be carefully monitored
and controlled -- but it produces oxide free joints.  They
wrap the tubing around the pump housing with silver solder paste
(still talking "real" silver solder, not "silver-bearing" tin-lead
alloy) put it in the furnace and .... voila'  purrfect joint.

Tom Cloud

They say the mind is the first thing to go ... and I can't remember the second