Rochester Quadrajet Jetting question (sorry, non-EFI)

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Mon Dec 8 13:52:46 GMT 1997

Jay Snyder wrote:

> Sorry for the non-EFI question, but I don't know where to ask this, and
> I figured that it is many here would know the answer.
>
> I have an '86 C10 pickup with a 4.3L V6 with a quadrajet (last year for
> this, '87's had TBI).  Eventually, I want to put the TBI setup on it,
> but I don't have the parts yet, and I also don't have the time.
>
> The engine currently has the original feedback carb on it, but it stubbles
> and looses power at more than 1/2 throttle (secondary jet problem?).
>
> Since all the emissions stuff is missing and plugged, I obtained a non-feedback
> carb from an earlier truck with a small block V8 (305 or 350, I don't
> know which).  Since this came from a larger engine, am I correct in
> assuming that the jetting would be incorrect for my engine?
> Where can I get a jetting kit to make this work with my engine?
>

> Thanks,
> J.
> '89 325i w/ Jim C Chip
> '85 325e->i (project)
> '74 2002 (future 325i engine recipiant!)
> '67 Firebird 400 Conv (4spd -- of course)
> '86 Chevy C10 Pickup
> Jay Snyder                                   ________
> jsnyder at microserve.net                      /________\
> http://www.microserve.net/~jsnyder         (oo==OO==oo)
> (717)652-3567                               @        @

  You would have to go to an AC Delco or Chevrolet dealer, and it isn't the easiest
thing to locate them in the parts books.  It sounds like your original carb needs
an overhaul, not a big deal.  Of course I'm assuming that electronic spark advance
is working, the mixture control solenoid is adjusted, and that your check engine
light isn't on all the time.  If I were going to switch carbs though, I'd bolt the
replacement on and run it for a while before I immediately changed rods and jets.
Use your spark plugs as a guide.