IAC

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 8 14:27:48 GMT 1997

I'm playing with my Holley ProJection (analog system) ...  I've
been told that I can convert to the Howell system if I have an IAC
(idle air control) ......  and I've been contemplating adding something
like this anyway (not Howell,  .....  IAC )

Here's the question ?

 - isn't IAC just a manifold leak ??  a bleed around the throttle
valve ?

 - why couldn't one do the IAC thing with any kind of manifold leak ?
(of course, you'd want to take the air from a filtered source)

I've contemplated using a simple vacuum solenoid to give me one
stage of "leak" or maybe two to give two stages (both open for
max rpm boost and one for mid-point, both closed for normal).
Then I could put something like an aquarium valve (read cheeeep),
on each solenoid intake to adjust the air flow.  I know this wouldn't
be dynamic (i.e. no confuzer control or feedback), but it'd probably
be a heckuva lot better than the system now on the ProJection

thoughts, suggestions, flames  ....   ???